Consider you have an issue with another person. Is your first instinct as a manager to take an action or you will try to make a negotiation session with the other party to find acceptable solutions for that issue?
The great managers use win-win negotiation process to find solutions when what they want conflict with what the others want, and they try to find solutions are acceptable to the two parties and try to find solutions where the two parties being satisfied and feeling that they have won.
If the other person has the power all the time and doesn’t care about you and about your objectives and you don’t have any power, no doubt that you will lose something; the negotiation in that case is also helpful to reduce the loses.
Win-win negotiation importance:
There are many benefits of using win-win negotiation process such as:
- The relationship between the people is maintained because win-win negotiation process separates the people from the problem and disallows to the situations to damage the relationship between the people because the win-win negotiation depends on resolving the issues not the personals affront.
- The process allows to the people to generate more options to resolve the situations and prevents or reduces the loses of any issue.
- To improves your listening skills and understand how the people think, it’s a good opportunity to do that by discussing the other party and listening to his point of view.
Preparing for a successful win-win negotiation process:
Before starting negotiation you should think about the following points to make a successful win-win negotiation session:
- Goals: it’s to think about what you want to get out after the negotiation, and think about what the other person want to get out also.
- Trades: it’s to think about what you can introduce for the others, and what the others can introduce for you.
- Alternatives: think about what if you will not reach to an agreement with the others. What will you lose? And what are the available alternatives that the other person has?
- Relationship: think about how the relationship between you and the other person is, and how will the relationship be if the other person isn’t satisfied after the negotiation? And keep in mind the win-win negotiation enhances the relationship significantly.
- Expected outcomes: think about what are the outcomes that are expected by you and by the other person? And what were the expected outcomes in the past?
- The consequences: think about what are the consequences for you of losing or winning after the negotiation? And what are the consequences for the other person?
- Possible solutions: what are the possible solutions to achieve win-win agreement, and what are the possible compromises without achieving win-win agreement.
- Power: think about what is the power that the other person has? Who has more power? Who will lose if the two parties failed to reach to an agreement? And does the other person control by what you hope?
The win-win negotiation is more suitable and easier when be between two persons who have the same power or the same position
Win-win negotiation process:
To get a successful negotiation session, you should have clear steps and know what you will do; in the following points we will clarify how to get a successful negotiation session:
Setting negotiation plan:
After the preparing for the negotiation as mentioned above, it’s the time to set you plan as following:
- Determine your objectives and the other person’s objectives: what is the minimum outcome? What is the anticipated outcome? And what is ideal outcome?
- Determine the concessions you might make.
- Determine what you will do if the negotiation succeeds or fails.
- Collect any need information to get a successful negotiation session such as:
- Will your objectives conflict with the other party’s objectives?
- What are the benefits to the other party if you achieve your objectives?
- Try to find any shared objectives to get a successful negotiation process.
- Try to find a big deal if the other party has a big authority.
- Try to set solutions for any conflict between the objectives.
- Set a time and place and be ready for you negotiation session.
Start the negotiation session:
After setting your time and place, it’s the time to start the negotiation:
- Introduce yourself and be confident and demonstrate to the other person that you know what you are doing.
- The other person should feel positive about the negotiation so tell him that you and he/she must be satisfied, and you aim to get win-win agreement.
- Identify what you need and what your objectives are, then let the other person to identify what he/she need and what his/her objectives are.
- List with the other person what the objectives are accepted, and what the objectives are not accepted to both of you.
- Tell the other party your suggested solutions for unaligned objectives and ask the other party to tell you his/her suggested solutions for those objectives.
- Try to strengthen your objective that the other person don’t want, and try to weaken the objectives aren’t accepted to you.
- Try to tell the other person why your objectives are important for you, and how those objectives will not effect upon his objectives.
- Be ready to make concessions if it’s required and ask the other party to make some concessions to get a good agreement accepted for all parties.
- During the negotiation session use “take and give” manner to get an accepted agreement.
- When the other person uses his power and doesn’t care about you, it’s the time to offer your big deal and try to not lose.
Closing the negotiation session
It’s very important to have a formal agreement to be sure that the issue is resolved. So after setting accepted solutions, it’s the time to close the session by formalizing the agreement may be by a contract or by a signed copy for the agreement.
Watch this video:
Finally I’ve written this article to help you, Kindly share the article with your friends if you liked it to help them too.