As the manager it is your responsibility to accomplish the organizations’ objectives; but you can’t accomplish all objectives by yourself, so you should delegate all or some of tasks to the individuals; so it’s important to know how to handle a task forward to your subordinates and know what the management by delegation is.
What is the management by delegation?
According to the business dictionary the delegation is “Sharing or transfer of authority and the associated responsibility, from an employer or superior (who has the right to delegate) to an employee or subordinate”.
Therefore the management by delegation is the style of management that involves giving the people who work with you parts of your authority and the responsibility to accomplish a specific task or job.
So, to delegate, you need to have the power or the authority to be able to transfer the parts of your authority to another person; the delegation is one direction process because you can’t delegate a job or task to someone above you or has a position of authority higher than yours.
Keep in your mind that: the delegation doesn’t mean that you won’t be responsible, but as the manager you are responsible about the outcomes, so you should choose the right one whom will be delegated, and should mentor and support him.
Management by Delegation levels:
The delegation isn’t just to tell someone to do something, but the delegation has a wide range, you may transfer the whole authority to someone, and sometime transfer a small part of your authority to another person depending on (the delegator, delegated job and person, situation and the delegation time) as following:
- The delegator: some managers have a negative attitude towards the delegation, and others have a positive attitude towards delegating the people.
- The delegated job: may be a sensitive or secret job.
- The delegated person: may doesn’t has the efficiency to accomplish the task, may doesn’t feel comfortable with the delegated authority, or may the manager isn’t confident in the delegated person’s abilities,
- Situation and the delegation time: sometime the situation or the time isn’t suitable to delegate anyone such as the emergency situations.
So the delegation has many levels as following: the first level is the lowest level of delegation and the last one is the highest level.
- “Told me before taking any action” or “do exactly these instructions”
In this level the individual doesn’t has any freedom and follow the manager’s instructions.
- “Tell me the current situation. I’ll tell what you will do”
In this level the manager delegates the individual to analyze and assess the current situation. But doesn’t delegate him to takes decisions.
- “Tell me the current situation. and we will decide together what you will do”
This level has a subtle difference to the second level, because in this level analyzing and assessing the current situation are delegated but taking a decision is shared between the manager and the individual.
- “Tell me the current situation and what you need to analyze and assess the current situation. And we will decide together what you will do”
In this level the individual has more freedom space to analyze and assess the current situation
- “ analyze and assess the situation and tell me your recommendations, then I will tell you to go ahead or not”
In this level the manager wants to check the efficiency before taking a decision.
- “analyze and assess the current situation and take a decision, but don’t go ahead till I tell you”
The manager is confident in the person, but he want keep control of timing, may be the task is important or may the manager expects changing some factors.
- “analyze and assess the current situation, decide and go ahead, then inform me what happened”
You give the individual more freedom, but you want to be sure that everything is ok.
- “decide and go ahead and don’t check back with me”
By this level you are confident in the individual’s efficiency. So you are sure that everything is ok with the person.
- “decide where the action is needed to be taken”
In this level the individual has more and more freedom. So you give him all of your trust.
Finally I’ve written this article to help you, Kindly share the article with your friends if you liked it to help them too.